Just because you live in an apartment or flat, that doesn’t mean you would be deprived of the happiness of having a garden. You can create a garden by planting trees in pots and containers on your rooftop. It can be highly entertaining and satisfying when you sit inside it and have your daily morning tea or coffee. Here, we will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of rooftop gardens.
What do you mean by rooftop garden?
The rooftop garden is a garden on the roof of a house, apartment, or flat. There are various advantages of having a garden on your rooftop by planting trees and growing vegetables. It will also help in controlling the building temperature, architectural enhancement, recreational opportunities, habitats or corridors for wildlife, hydrological benefits, etc.
While you create gardens at your rooftop, you can plant only plant trees in the pots and containers. The rooftops that are built with wood may not support an extra load of the pots and soil. However, gardening can be done for small plants. If the rooftop floor is made of concrete, then there will be less damage to the surface. Still, you have to use lightweight containers.
Merits of having a rooftop Garden
1. It will reduce CO2 emissions.
2. It produces more oxygen.
3. It will lessen the heat of building and energy costs.
4. It will create a habitat for wildlife.
5. It will capture and harvest rainwater.
6. It reduces ambient temperature.
7. It will stormwater runoff and discharge.
8. It will substantially increase the property values in the form of re-sale or rental value. It will increase the worth of the structure by the availability of valuable amenities.
9. It will increase the life- expectancy of the roof by securing the underlying roof covering.
10. There are countries like the USA where the government is providing property tax credit incentives to the owner for having green rooftops.
11. The rooftop garden insulates against the heat and cold.
12. The rooftop garden retains and manages stormwater.
13. The elevated rooftop gardens modify urban micro-climates.
14. Social benefits
15. Pure air
Demerits of having a rooftop garden
- The structure and weight of a rooftop garden can be a problem for the overall building.
- It will put a heavy strain on the building’s water supply.
- Membrane Installation
- Insurance and Safety
- Unlike traditional gardens, the rooftop gardens will require complicated and costly drainage systems so that there will no water seep into the building via tiny cracks.
- If the rooftop garden is not properly cleaned or checked, then there can be chances of habitat for poisonous snakes and reptiles.